Monday, September 24, 2012

Solo


We went to Richfield to the Verizon store. My cell phone was not working at all. The store was pretty busy with only one employee to handle the customers. She did her best to work on my cell phone/computer issues and take care of incoming customers.  It was almost 10:30 when a lady came into the store and immediately asked me questions about the couple coming to Cove Fort in October and about the Atwoods. I realized I must have met her when I was in the Manti temple. We started chatting after George left to go sit in the car. He was getting frustrated that the store employee kept waiting on each person who came in instead of focusing on our problem. At 10:50 the clerk said she was making progress but it would be several more minutes. Sherleen Jaussi (my new friend) jumped up and said she would deliver it to me at Cove Fort as soon as it was finished. Surprised, I agreed and we headed to Wendy’s for lunch to eat it on the way to prayer meeting which starts at 11:40. We were a couple of minutes late. Sherleen brought everything to us about 1:00. My phone is working!

Later I found out that Sherleen is the main character written about in the book Solo. I later read the book, by Patricia O’Brian King. It is about Sherleen Jaussi’s adventure when her plane went down outside of Grand Junction.  She was from Price where her husband was a doctor. They both decided to learn to fly to be able to make trips to visit Sherleen’s mother in Idaho. She was taking a three legged flight including Blanding, Price and Grand Junction. This was a requirement for her to have a three stop solo flight to get her license. Her plane lost power and crashed. We learn how she survived until she was rescued.

She now lives in Richfield and she serves in the Manti Temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment