Thursday, July 26, 2012

George's Five Tours


Today has been a special day in many ways.  On an average day, giving three tours is the usual.  Rarely are we blessed with the opportunity to give four tours.  But, today I gave five!  Not only that but these tours were some of the most spiritual I have been involved in.

The first tour I conducted was with a Catholic man who had a “mild” interest in antiques.  He was from Ohio.  After going through two rooms, he exclaimed, “My wife has got to see this!”  I assumed his wife was somewhere else, but in fact, she was resting in their van.  We hurried back to get her and began the tour again.  Her love of antiques was even greater than his.  By the third room they were feeling the Spirit of the Fort and wanted to know more about why the Hinkleys were willing to work so hard and yet were so happy.  I explained as carefully as I could that they were called by Christ, through the prophet Brigham Young.  They seemed to understand.

As we continued through Fort, they were more and more impressed.  Their questions came in rapid-fire order.  When we finally got to the display of Books of Mormon, she said she wanted one.  You see, she was a Buddhist from Thailand.  I agreed to have one sent to her in the Ti language.

As we walked back to their van, the questions kept coming.  I virtually gave them the First Discussion.  Will anything come of our meeting?  I can’t say, but we all felt the Spirit and at least a very important seed was planted.

All of my other tours today had special meaning to me and my guests.  I met a father and son; the son was soon to depart on a mission to Lansing, Michigan.  I met three history teachers who gained a strong and personal testimony of the faith and sacrifice of the pioneers.  I met a sweet family with three daughters.  They all loved the spirit of the Fort and before we concluded the parents were (almost) ready to sign up as missionaries when retired.

Being a missionary at Cove Fort is so much more than being a mere tour guide.  Mom and I have become tools in the hands of the Holy Ghost as we talk about the lives, sacrifices, dedication, joy, and accomplishments of the Hinkleys and other pioneers.
We and our guests are blessed every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment